Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mom


After living 88 years and 9 months, my Mom finally passed from this life to a new one this past Tuesday.  Although death of loved ones make us sad, as Christ-followers we have a hope which others cannot have.  When God creates a soul, it will never die.  When Jesus walked this earth three days after He had been crucified, He proved that He had the power over death.  Those who trust Him will live forever after leaving this earthly body.

Mom was ready to go.  Her mind was ravaged with Alzheimer's disease, and in her last days was in hospice, since her body would no longer process food and her immune system was gone.  This past Sunday I said goodbye to her.  She was unusually lucid as Paul read from the Psalms.  Although she could not speak, her eyes were open and when I told her we would follow her one day and meet together in Heaven, she was actually able to smile.  I was told that for the rest of her life, she was mostly unconscious until she finally shed her body at 9:30 Tuesday morning.  We can only imagine the glorious reunion in Heaven.

My memories of my mother are good ones.  As the apostle Paul speaks approvingly of Timothy's mother, Eunice's teaching him the Scriptures from an early age, so Mom taught her six children.  It had to be very difficult, the first 5 of us were born less than 18 months apart.  But her patience and loving, careful discipline was exemplary.  Much of our schooling was at her feet, since we were home schooled before it became popular.  More than academics, Mom taught us character.  And yes, we were characters!  Most important to her, Mom wanted us to not only learn about her Savior, but to know Him.  The prayers of both my mother and father have been answered.  I am sure I speak for each of my brothers and sisters when I say, 'Mom, we will meet again.'  The chain will not be broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment