Sunday, May 20, 2012

NOW I REALLY AM A GEEZER

It's official.  On May 19, I turned 60.  For those have not yet had the pleasure, it's not that bad.  I'm a believer in the 'you are as young as you feel' philosophy, and am still a kid at heart.  Actually God has blessed me with a healthy body and mind, although the mind is deteriorating, and some would say it is already gone.  I have nothing to complain of.  With King David I can say, 'The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;' Ps. 16:6.
The last two posts of this blog have dealt with those who question God's goodness and why He allows so much grief and suffering.  There was a time when I thought God had abandoned me.  It was a tough period of life when I had gone for over a year trying desperately to get a decent job, one that would provide for my family.  Although I never accepted government handouts, we were grateful for family and friends who cared and provided groceries.  During the month of August, 1985 I was selling life insurance and was not doing well at it.  I remember going to the office late one night where I spent an hour on the floor pleading with God to help me make enough sales to pay the bills.  I don't remember how the bills were paid, but I didn't make many sales.  I was devastated.  I believed God had turned His back and no longer cared for me.  I got a job at McDonald's, flipping burgers - minimum wage. 

Although God has not revealed to me why He allowed me to go through those dark days, I know that I would not be where I am today if God had not put me through His mill.  I only wish I had more faith then, but in His goodness, God wrapped His loving arms around me and carried me forward.

For those who are in similar circumstances, I can truly say, I know what you are going through, for I have been there.  Please allow God to be God.  Don't doubt Him like I did.  There is light at the other end of the tunnel.  God has not abandoned you.  Keep trusting Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment