Saturday, March 13, 2010

Victory in Jesus

This is the third and final post on Christian Liberty. I hope you have read the previous posts before tackling this one.

The reference we should turn our attention to is Romans 8:1, where the great apostle says there is no condemnation to those who don't walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. He goes on to speak disparagingly about the law of sin and death. In contrast he revels in the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus. Now I believe the law of sin and death Paul is speaking of here are the 10 Commandments. They have slain everyone of us, placing us under judgment. But through the Son of God, by His perfect life and sacrificial death, God has provided the victory we can have. The law of sin and death no longer should have mastery over us. Romans 8 is a chapter of the victorious life that is available to every Christian.

Too many Christians are convinced that they can never live above sin. Too many preachers hammer home this falsehood. But my reading of the Word of God tells me a different story. I look at Romans 7:13-25 and I see the picture of a wretched creature who is either unsaved or carnal - an autobiography of Paul's life before his unexpected encounter with the King. But all that changes when Paul begins Romans 8. Now we see a new walk and a new life - filled with the promise of victory over sin. And doesn't it make sense? After all, our mighty God is so much more powerful than all that Satan can throw at Him. And I, who before knowing God, had no ability to live outside the chains of sin, now have been set free from the dungeon of sin in which I was bound. I step into the splendor of His light, breathe fresh air, and walk in His love. He takes me by the hand and gently tells me, 'This the Way, walk in it. Love and serve Me all your days.' I have been liberated, I Am Free! (By the way, I love that song.)

So the new life in Jesus can be a life of victory over sin. Remember that sin is not necessarily what man says it is. Sin is the transgression of God's law. If I allow God to fill my mind with His light, I will see clearly what is right and wrong. He is willing to give me the ability and strength to overcome temptation. That promise is in I Cor. 10:13 - God will with the temptation make a way to escape. (Great verse to memorize.) The possibility of a truly victorious life over sin is made available to us. God is offering to us all we need to live like saints. Although this sounds simplistic, we need to be reminded that our Father wants us to live a life liberated from sin. I know this is radical thinking, but it's so Biblical! Don' be discouraged into thinking it cannot be done. We are only held back from the life that Paul describes by our own faithlessness. 'If God be for us, who can be against us?' Rom. 8:31

No comments:

Post a Comment