Thursday, June 17, 2010

FATHER'S DAY, 2010

A FATHER'S PRAYER

A careful man I ought to be, A little fellow follows me. I do not dare to go astray, For fear he'll go the selfsame way.

Not once can I escape his eyes; Whate'er he sees me do he tries. Like me he says he's going to be That little chap who follows me.

I must remember as I go Through summer sun and winter snow, I'm molding for years to be - That little chap who follows me.

My mother-in-law gave me a card with this poem on it when my son was very young. I still have it, though Joe will be 29 years old this summer. The truth it illustrates is of immense importance. We as fathers cannot take it lightly. As Christians we must be the kind of examples who will lead our sons (and daughters) to follow the Lord our God. This is generational; my children are 5th generation Christians. Through the grace of God, a lot of prayer, and hard, consistent work, they were brought into the Kingdom of God.

Though they have been redeemed, my job is not finished. I am now a grandfather and I really want my grandchildren to go to Heaven. That is not going to happen by chance. The large job is up to their parents, but as their grandfather, I am praying daily for their salvation, and have been, from before their birth, when I first heard that another child was on the way.

So fathers, in many ways yours is a thankless job. You have the responsibility of discipline and example, and will one day stand before the eternal Judge for how you have raised your children. It is a solemn responsibility, but well worth it. Always remember, each child is a blessing from God. Enjoy and savor this Sunday as your children gather round you. Count your blessings. I only have four, but realize I have been greatly blessed by a loving God.

No comments:

Post a Comment